Bettas, the name the world knows, are renowned for their hilarious color and unique varieties of fins and tails. Over the years, due to selective breeding, they have produced offspring with different coloring and tails; this specie, having increased in population, stirs up controversies about the total number of species they have; there have been theories of 80 or more; only nature knows best.
Looking deep into betta’s life, they are the easiest to breed compared to other species in their (Osphronemidae) family. The zoological name for this splendid creature is Betta Splendens. Veiltails are found in freshwater habitats, and what makes them intriguing is the unique way they move in a soft and slightly wavering manner.
Bettas are mostly found in the warm waters of southeast Asia, e.g., Thailand and Cambodia, etc. most southeastern country has claimed their origination to their rivers. Still, answers can only be gotten if we ask them.
Respiration is performed with an organ that evolved over the years called the labyrinth, veiltails, such as other bettas, can breathe in a low oxygen condition. They possess gills that are used to breathe underwater. Bettas are very aggressive, but their aggressiveness is just like that of other beings on earth, being territorial. Every living thing always stands up for its land or territory against invaders; this is a trait living things portray.
How To Take Care Of Your Veiltail Betta Fish?
These fished need some extra and different care, these are listed as below.
- The tank must have a moderate temperature of 76°f. Any change made to the temperature will affect the behavior of the betta. Water heaters are often required for such duty .veiltails measure from a length of 4 to 4.5 centimeters.
- Veil tails accommodate a minimum of ten gallons of water in the tank. Since they live in the lower course of a river that moves slowly, it’s essential to recreate the such environment. Having a pump that produces a fast-moving current can further damage the delicate parts of the details.
- Veiltails do well in pH levels of 6.5 and 7.8, which are low acidic and alkaline waters. They acquire a keen sense of hard water which is harmful to them. Soft water makes peace with them, whereas hard water reduces lifespan.
- Veiltails are easy to breed, and in a good environment or condition, they can live up to 5 years or more. They can live in peace and harmony with other species but strives better left alone or with females. Checking the minerals in the water for any changes is one important aspect. Micronutrients such as calcium, magnesium, and various trace elements are needed in a great percentage. A change in the balance of such nutrients should be looked into as soon as possible to avoid further damage.
- Cleaning is essential for the health of the details. It should be performed at a minimum of once every 2 weeks. In the process of cleaning the tank, the gravel must be drained with 20% of the water. Algae and harmful micro-organisms tend to grow in a dirty tank which can be very harmful to the veiltails, and it may kill them.
Typical Behaviour And Temperament That Veiltail Shows
Veiltail has a general behavior that defines them. Veiltails may have tendencies to behave aggressively; they usually show tranquility towards other varieties.
- Having possession of a labyrinth organ is usually their conduct or an adaptive feature. The labyrinth organ makes it possible for veiltails to move to the water’s surface to breathe oxygen at intervals, which helps them survive in low-oxygen-content water. Replacing the wild with leaves and plants helps it stick to the surfaces and use its labyrinth to exchange gases.
- Veiltail bettas are carnivorous; they feed on the larvae of mosquitoes and other organisms like bloodworms and shrimps(frozen or dried). They find it easy to survive hostile environmental conditions, which is why they are called versatile feeders.
- Males are usually friendly with some varieties of fish. In terms of being aggressive, gill glaring and nipping of fin show fighting signal. A stiffened fin portrays a sign of threat in their domain and shows readiness to defend their territory.
- Bettas are victims to fin biting. One main cause of fin biting by bettas is stress, such as stressful companions, living in a congested tank, or a high pH concentration in the water. Veiltails with long fins may also bite their fins in a hopeless attempt to relieve them of the weight dragging them down.
- When they are satisfied, they move in a wind-like or haphazard way. As a tank owner, it is important to differentiate between a peaceful and troubling stance. Being able to your fish will give it a peaceful and long co-existence between yourself and the fish.
Are Veiltail Betta Agressive?
Veiltal Betta fish, popularly known as Siamese fighting fish, is known for their aggressiveness. The reason why a male will fight another male is a trait that it has acquired since immemorial. Due to the state of their natural habitat, the availability of food is always an important need which makes them guide their hunting ground and territory from strays.
Protection of nest and egg is one key factor that makes vieltail bettas aggressive. Males build an attractive nest to draw the attention of females, which other males may get envious of and plan to challenge them.
Another reason why bettas become aggressive is due to intimidation. They feel unsafe in the presence of larger fishes, especially those with larger fins and tails. It also shows aggression toward other bettas with a brighter color.
Changes in the water condition of the tank can make the fish behave insecurely. Another major factor is changing of designs and decorations of the tank. Bettas feel insecure in an unfamiliar environment.
In the case of bettas, fighting or aggression doesn’t always occur between two males; occasionally, the male usually shows aggression towards females, which is very important information to novice tank owners. Male and female bettas are kept together when needed for breeding.
Concerning male and female relationships, the flaring of gills and fins that the male displays develop an attraction or courtship towards the female. Females can show aggression towards one another until a particular social structure is formed. Once the matrix is formed, females can live in peaceful co-existence, which in place goes to the male.
What is The Natural Habitat Of Veiltail Betta Fishes?
Due to the warm, marshy environment in which veiltail bettas are found, it is hard to survive any lower or greater temperatures. It tolerates mildly warm water bodies.
The rivers in the southeastern part of Asia are majorly slow-moving waters with slow currents. They prefer biomes that recreate their pre-existing ones. Pipes or tubes which produce fast currents should not be used. It may cause damage.
Maintaining the environment won’t be stressful. Most importantly, constant changing of the water and the soil is essential. Precautions should be taken while keeping the temperate and the pressure of the pipe.
Accurate illumination shall enhance health and give value to the unique color spectrum for merchandise. Lighting is another way to convince potential buyers or sight-seers. Using an accurate source produces day and night correctly So that it will differentiate and know their time for rest and sleep.
Copying its pre-existing habitat gives assurance that all biotic factors in the aquarium give shelter and a place of comfort, but they must be light and soft in other to cause damage to the delicate betta’s fin.
Having comfort with plants, they also appreciate the building of rocky strongholds, which will allow them to hide in a surrounding habitat. Use pebbles with a round and smooth body. Avoid sharp objects in the tank.
Tank Condition And Setup You Should Know
- Maintaining a moderate temperature in the tank is essential, which guarantees your fish a perfect condition. This species is submissive to cold water. At temperatures under 71° Fahrenheit, veiltails may behave very sluggish. It may also lead to illness. This fish will flourish in preferably between 71° and 81° Fahrenheit water. The best degree of temperature is 76° Fahrenheit.
- It’s of great importance to own a heater. It will be of great aid to maintaining the temperature of your tank at a stable point without any costly variation. Using a water heater removes the need for assumptions, which is often inaccurate. Heaters are always obtained in any aquarium shop and aren’t frightful costly. They have attractive tails and fins, which are easily broken. Veiltails are prone to fast currents because it doesn’t match that of their habitat. The flow may damage their brittle tails and fins. In other words, the water flow must be moderate and calm.
- Hardness in water is one important factor. They will not be efficient in hard water. They like water that matches their habitat, with a moderate degree of hardness in water. A modest pH level is essential for the tank. They avoid waters with high pH values. A pH value of 6.7 to 7.6 will be satisfactory. Having the perfect enlightenment in your aquarium will bring out the best visible colors in them.
- Veiltail bettas would like the company of plants in their tank. It gives them room to explore around and isolate themselves like their real habitat. The tank will need light to keep the plant alive. Precautions should be taken while sorting out biotic organisms in the tank. Being light and soft summarize how they should be in other to cause damage. Veiltails also appreciate the presence of rocks in the aquarium. Veiltails enjoys isolating himself in little, hidden edges to make him safe from wanderers of predators. Smoothly shaped rocks should be used so as not to puncture the fish.
What Veiltail Betta Feed On?
Healthy fleshy meals are preferable for veiltails. If you have experience, you will know they have a keen sensitivity. They always like being the center of attraction to their owners, mostly when they want to feed by moving their fins and waving their tails.
A tank store should have specimens of bloodworms and mosquito larvae. Exchange with conserved specimens is also acceptable, and conserved flakes and pellets are preferable feed since they have a great protein level.
Overfeeding is bad for the betta’s health. Your betta will suffer from overinflation, constipation, and overall ill health, decreasing its quality of life and durability. Veiltails should be fed with the right portion according to size to avoid health deficiencies.
Excess of any food substance lingering in the aquarium must be removed immediately. Avoid giving your excess fish food; instead, feed them two times daily and switch it with raw or preserved replacement.
Veiltails will disgorge food that they don’t find edible, so keep a watchful eye on your fish’s eating behavior efficiently. Veiltails in their original habitat shall feed when there is available food and may not feed for some time.
Such an era may tarry for some or even weeks but may not cause any effect on the fish as far as it’s in a comfortable condition. Unfortunately, veiltails will not eat when they feel disturbed. It may result in them being inactive and sick.
Choose Wisely The Veiltails Tank Mates
Male veiltails are usually as hostile as his other species; he still has a hostile livelihood. When grouped with other species of bettas, he might assume that they show signs of danger to his domain and will likely show hostility toward them.
It is not ideal to have them in his aquarium. Like every betta, males are very domineering and will not enjoy any form of opposition in the tank. In instances, males might fancy the presence of females.
A trial to see if they are harmonious is critical. Testing aggression can be costly, so prevention is better than the solution. Veiltails are known for calmness, that’s why they are preferred among all bettas.
Veiltails are usually friendly with Kuhli loaches, neon tetra, and clown loach. Please don’t attempt to join them with dazzling colored, relative specie because they pose as competition.
Letting the associate some time to get used to newbies and form a social order is important in establishing a healthy tank environment. Extensively, they are nice tank mates in spite of their frightening behavior.
Male Bettas should never be accommodated together unless there is a high population of females around; that doesn’t stop them from conflict. Female bettas are usually passive with females of other bettas and other species of fish.
When accommodating other species, it is important to join them with an orthodox aquarium to avoid clashes between the veiltails and the other fishes. They are usually territorial and entrenched in their enclave, making foreign companies a threat.
You can also check Best Betta Tank Mates.
How You Can Keep A Veiltail Betta Healthy
- Regardless of their fancy outlook, they are fit, vibrant fish that sustains little health issues. With perfect water variables and succulent feeds, your veiltail betta can survive for as long as 5 or more years in confinement. Veiltails with clear, lively colors and feeding unhesitatingly show that they are healthy and strong.
- When a fish is happy, it means a happy life. More discoveries confirm that fish lead multiplex social lives. As the principal custodian, don’t be amazed; you will form a reciprocal association. Availability of needs collaborates with the aquarium care or well-being.
- A suitable three-gallon tank requires regular cleansing. Cleaning the aquarium to get rid of unwanted organisms like algae may be intimidating, but it’s a feasible chore. Replace at least 10% or 20% of the water using a fitting temperature. Decant any gravel, pebbles, or plants quickly in a well-organized manner. This activity removes harmful elements from growing in your tank and harming the fish.
- Water should always be tried out for any disproportion in micronutrients like calcium, strontium, magnesium, and other damaging trace elements with a testing apparatus for aquariums. These inequalities are treated with mixtures of the specific mineral mixture to replace a healthy proportion in the tank. During tank sanitation, the best chance is to monitor your veiltails behavior and well-being. They’re very curious by nature.
- It is suggested that you do constant checks to test the levels of the minerals in the water. Important minerals like magnesium and calcium must be maintained in a fixed state. It is possible to examine these mineral levels by using aquatic testing equipment. In terms of discovering variations in mineral quantity, it should be looked into immediately.
How Much Does It Cost To Keep Veiltail Betta Fish?
Consumers’ demand for these aquatic organisms and their proportional effortlessness in confinement makes them affordable fish for lovers of aquatic organisms.
A few factors will dictate the price you pay for such fish. The ages by which they are bought are the greatest connoisseur, but they look forward to paying between $2 to $5 on average.
A large, widespread veiltail specie costs a hundred or some thousands of dollars.
Successful reproduction and fame have made these fish a good alternative to include in tanks because of their low price. They always intrigue sight-seers coming to watch the tank.
Listed below are the costs of having a betta.
$2 – $35
$50 – $150
$30 – $160
$10 – $35
$10 – $30
$5 – $50
$5 – $30
$10 – $15
$5 – $35
They develop strong genes and are procreated without inconveniences, and they are one of the most common fish found in aquariums. Mating age starts from around 7 months. Attempting such an act at a young age, its body won’t be fully grown to subsist with breeding; striving at early breeding may be unfortunate.
For success in breeding, it is required that the breeding pair be given a separate tank of their own. Veiltails feel reluctant when mating in the sight of other fish. Don’t pair a large female with a small male during breeding because Veiltail males feel insecure mating with females bigger than them.
Change in shade reveals readiness to mate. She develops continuous darkening in color and clear markings below her body; observable ovipositor shows readiness to mate. You may spot some dots, usually white, between her fins.
Females behave seductively toward their opposite sex when ready to breed. Portraying a modest behavior by gesticulating about and waving her tail towards the male. These are her mating signals.
Most females exhibit irresistible attempts to consume its egg and aren’t excluded from such behavior. One way of avoiding such an act is ensuring the tank provides rocks with many edges, so the eggs will hang on to and hide, regardless of their mother’s efforts to feed on them.
These edges are made by using an underlayer of gravel and maybe attaching a little marble to the underlayer. It ensures the safe hatching of the eggs.
Having a veiltail in an aquarium intrigues people because their curiosity and pride amaze viewers. They are known for socializing and are more cordial than other Betta specie, making them the best option for an aquarium tank of other fish species. Males will show hostility towards other male Bettas, but in appropriate conditions, they can have peaceful co-existence with other fish species.
Veiltail Bettas are precisely unique fish that is proportionally easy to cater to and makes great inclusion to any aquarium. Veiltails may have precise needs for their sustenance, but they don’t need much to cater for. It’s your choice to crave this beautiful fish; it’s a matter of decision and purchase, then you will have a fish tank to yourself.
The water variables must be kept in good condition at an accurate scale, always observed, and adhere to rules for adequate maintenance. Veiltails don’t mandate an extended life expectancy, not with standing working according to the guidelines listed above, your veiltail would survive for some years.
As long as your aquarium is comfortable enough for a veiltail betta fish to swim and glide around freely, it should be quite happy, embrace nature, and embrace you.